Sprouted green gram(moong) is one of the power foods and if consumed regularly, then no need to worry about proteins, fibers and Vitamin B. It is a power source. If you can eat them raw, then it is the best option to turn it into salad and eat otherwise you can also cook them and eat.
Process of sprouting moong or green gram:
- Wash moong beans with cold water 2-3 times. Let them soak in the water overnight.
- Next day, they will swell a bit. Discard any water.
- Tie them up in banshire(konkani word). It is a very thin cotton cloth used in kitchen. Also called as muslin cloth in English.
- Keep them overnight. If you live in cold regions, then keep this tied up bundle inside your convection oven . Don’t turn it on.
- Depending on the climate you will see the sprouts coming out the next day or might take another day.
- Once you see sprouts popping out, open the bundle and remove beans out in a big bowl . Add warm water and keep for some time.
- Rub them using hands, wash many times until most of the peels come off.
- Now you can use these sprouted mung beans for your recipe.
Earlier I had prepared mugachi usli (sprouted green gram stew) and Today I am going to show you how to make traditional Goan, Maharastrian recipe called moonga gathi or sprouted green gram curry . This curry is prepared by cooking sprouted green grams in coconut gravy. Normally in Goa mooga gathi is prepared during festive seasons like Ganesh Chaturthi or some holy ocassions like if there is a Pooja or munj(Thread ceremony). It is a complete vegetarian dish without any onion or garlic.
- 1 Cup of sprouted moong beans( green gram)
- 1/2 Cup of grated fresh coconut(can use dry coconut powder too)
- 2-3 slit green chillies
- 1 Teaspoon garam masala
- 1 Teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 Teaspoon haldi/turmeric powder
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander seeds
- 1 Tablespoon of grated jaggery
- 1 Tablespoon of Cooking oil
- 1 small marble size ball of tamarind
- 6-7 black pepper corns
- Salt to taste
Boil moong beans using a cup of water on medium heat until they are half cooked ( Around 5-6 minutes)Then add slit green chillies.
Cook for another 5 minutes.
In the mean time, lets prepare coconut gravy.
For this, dry roast pepper corns and coriander seeds( on medium heat) until you get nice fragrance.
Grind this along with grated coconut, tamarind, turmeric powder and garam masala in the grinder. Make a smooth paste.
Add in the ground masala into the cooked beans.
Add Jaggery cover and cook for 2 minutes.
Now lets prepare tempering by heating oil in a tempering pan. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves. Lower the heat to low.Cover.When mustard seeds splutter, add a pinch of hing( asafoetida).
Pour this tempering into the moong beans gravy add salt, mix.
Switch off and serve hot with any kind of bread.