Rice Kheer Payasam is Indian Pudding which is prepared mostly during festive Seasons in India . Added nuts and raisins gives it extra crunch.
Kheer or Payasam is Indian Pudding which is prepared mostly during festive Seasons, and I prepared rice kheer today to celebrate Holi, the Festival of colors.
Rice kheer is one of the popular desserts recipe cooked in North India along with Phirni and seviya kheer(Vermicelli kheer). You can either prepare this kheer using cooked rice or uncooked rice. If you have any left over rice, then you can use them too, to prepare this kheer or payas.
The flavors are added using cardamom powder , nutmeg powder or cloves. Added nuts and raisins gives it extra crunch. So let’s see how to make rice kheer.
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time : 15 Minutes
- 1 Cup Cooked Basmati Rice(Long Grain rice)
- 2 Cups full fat milk
- 1/3 Cup sweetened condensed milk
- Handful of chopped or slit almonds
- Handful of dark or golden raisins
- 4 Cloves(Optional)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- 2-3 Tablespoons Sugar(or as per your preference of sweetness)
- 1 Teaspoon Ghee (Clarified butter)
In a medium saucepan, kept on medium heat, take ghee and once it melts, add cloves, raisins and almonds. Fry them for a few seconds until the raisins are all puffed up. Remove them in a bowl and keep aside.
In the same saucepan,mix together cooked rice, milk, condensed milk and sugar.
Keep it on high flame and let it come to boil.
Once it boils, reduce the heat and keep it on medium. so that the milk doesn’t spill out.
Let it cook for a while till the milk is thickened and nicely absorbed by rice. Keep stirring in between to make sure that the milk doesn’t stick to the bottom.
This will take 10-15 minutes.
Add in the fried nuts,raisins and cloves and mix well.
Reduce the heat. Keep it on low heat and let it simmer for 5 more minutes.
Switch off the heat , add cardamom powder, mix well.
Serve your creamy rice pudding or rice payasam either chilled or warm.
Here is the list of few of my other kheer recipes:
1) Goan Kann /Split mung beans pudding
2) Mewa Seviya Kheer / Thick Dry Fruit Vermicelli Pudding
3) Sabudana Kheer / Tapioca Sago Dessert
4) Mangane(Goan Sweet) / Chana Dal Kheer/ Split Gram Porridge
5) Sweet Potato Kheer / Sweet Potato Dessert
6) Gajar Ki Kheer/Carrot Dry Fruit Kheer