There are two ways to make Biryani. Kaccha(Raw) and Pakki(cooked). In Kacchi Biryani, the meat is marinated and cooked along with half cooked rice, while in Pakki Biryani, meat is first cooked along with spices and rice is cooked separately. Then they are combined into layers and steamed for some time.
Biryani sometimes spelt Biriyani or Biriani, is a rice dish from Indian Subcontinent, prepared with spices mixed with rice along with meat or vegetables.
In North India, Biryani is traditionally associated with the Mughlai cuisine of Delhi and in South India, it is traditionally associated with the Hyderabadi cuisine.
Today let’s prepare Pakki Chicken Biryani or Cooked Chicken Biryani.
- 8 Chicken Leg Pieces
- 1 1/2 Cups(354 Grams)Basmati rice/long grain rice washed and soaked in water for 30 minutes.
- 1 Big onion chopped
- 2 Onions sliced very thin for garnishing
- 4 Tablespoons of Biryani Masala
- 3 Teaspoons of red chilli powder
- 1/2 Teaspoons of Jeera/Cumin seeds
- 4 Teaspoons of whole garam masala like(2-3 bay leaves, 2-3 Ansi, 8-10 cloves, 8-10 black pepper corns, 1 stick cinnamon ,1-2 black cardamom)
- 1 Bunch of chopped coriander leaves
- 4 chopped green chillies
- 1/2 lime
- 1/2 Cup curd/Yogurt
- 3 Tablespoons of Ginger Garlic paste
- 5-6 Saffron strands soaked in 2 tablespoons of warm milk
- 3-4 Tablespoons of Ghee/Clarified Butter
- 2-3 Tablespoons of oil
- Salt to taste
Heat a little oil on a skillet and fry sliced onions and caramelize until they turn brownish black in color. These will be used as a garnish. Remove and keep for later use.
Add oil in a heavy bottom Pan and fry garam masala along with onions, ginger garlic paste and little salt. When onion changes color, add chicken.
Add biryani masala, green chilies, handful of coriander leaves, red chilli powder, lime juice, yogurt and cover with lid.
Cook on medium-high heat until chicken is fully cooked. This will take 15-20 minutes.
In the mean time, in a separate vessel, add 2-3 cups of water and after water boils, add little salt, jeera and soaked rice. Cook until rice is 90% cooked. This will take roughly around 10 minutes. Remove and strain the rice.
Now lets make layers in a baking pan.
First add half of the rice at the bottom of the baking pan and sprinkle ghee, chopped coriander, saffron milk and then arrange all 8 cooked chicken pieces (don’t add the gravy you get after chicken is cooked. Reserve it for the end part) on top of this rice.
Again add remaining rice on top of chicken and sprinkle ghee, chopped coriander, saffron milk and the gravy of the chicken which you had reserved.
Cover this pan tight with aluminium foil and bake at preheated oven at 350 degree Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes.
Remove and enjoy your dinner.