Disclaimer: This a sponsored post. But all the opinions given here are mine.
FSSAI license makes sure that every food business in India follows certain norms to maintain food quality standard.
What exactly is FSSAI ?
FSSAI or Food Safety and Standards Authority of India is basically a department built by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (Government of India) under Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. This organization or body mainly looks after the food safety and regulation in India via regular supervision of food products giving utmost importance to public health. This body is run by non-executive chairperson, appointed by Central government. Main headquarter is at New Delhi with 6 regional offices located in Delhi, Guwahati, Mumbai, Kolkata, Cochin and Chennai.
Why do food operating businesses need FSSAI license?
By law it is mandatory to have food license to start any food related business. It could be a small-scale business or big restaurants, traders, retailers, wholesalers, suppliers, transporters and even importers exporters. Without it, you are not allowed to register or start your business. Government issues a certificate from FSSAI department to start any kind of food business.
If you want to start your food business, you must register it with government along with the process FSSAI license. Without acquiring the FSSAI license, it is like you don’t follow government prescribed food standards and have to face consequences. The consequences could be imprisonment or a huge amount of fine, in lakhs which may extend up to five lakh rupees. If a person or company is found distributing or supplying food prepared under unhygienic or unsanitary conditions shall be liable to a penalty which may extend to one lakh rupees.
What is the procedure to acquire FSSAI license?
To apply for FSSAI license, one has to go through various steps like:
1) What business are you going to start?
2) What will be your business turnover?
3) Identify your license type
4) Complete the Documentation steps
5) Pay Government challan
6) Gather and submit necessary document in the assigned offices
7) Go through the process where there will be a thorough inspection
8) Follow-up and License completion
Once you get FSSAI license, there are certain conditions which are applicable to license holders.
1) True copy of license granted in Form C has to be prominently displayed in the premises.
2) Licensing authorities should be given all the necessary access to the premises.
3) Any modifications done, should be intimated to the authorities.
4) At least one technical person should be present to supervise the production process.
5) Proper sanitary and hygienic standards should be maintained.
6) Any food should not be sold, stored, or manufactured near , drains, waste matter, sullage.
7) Raw material used should have optimum quality.
8) Regular cleaning of machines and equipment is mandatory.
To conclude, FSSAI license for starting any food related business makes sure that every food business in India follows certain norms and guidelines to maintain food quality standard for health and safety of public.