Whole brown lentils are called as masoor in Goa. They are good source of proteins, good for digestion and lowers cholesterol levels.
Below is the recipe for what we call masoor tondak in Goa. Its masoor in coconut gravy.
- 1 cup brown lentils (masoor) soaked overnight.
- 1 big potato cut into cubes after boiling with lentils.
- 1 onion sliced
- 2-3 red chilies
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2-3 tablespoons of Garam masala
- 1 tablespoon of coriander powder
- salt to taste
- 1 cup of grated fresh coconut
- 1 small ball of tamarind
Pressure cook soaked masoor along with potato upto 1 whistle.
In a pan, add oil , in that fry onions and red chillies until brown . In the same oil, fry coconut. Let this cool down . Then grind this mixture adding garam masala,turmeric powder, tamarind and coriander powder.
Add this paste into masoor and cut potatoes, boil it for 5-10 minutes. Add salt and serve with roti or chapati.