Dal Khichdi is Indian subcontinent delicacy in which rice, dal(lentils) are cooked along with some veggies and served with pickles .
Sometimes I feel lazy to cook and especially if no fish , no chicken in my refrigerator I feel lost. That time dal khichdi comes to my rescue. Dal Khichdi can be prepared using different variations but any type of it tastes good if you use ghee for ‘Tadka'(Tempering). This is especially good for those who are vegan or pure vegetarian.
If you see , you can add any vegetable of your choice and even who hates vegetables will love it. I love to drizzle some extra ghee while serving it . Adds some extra flavor.
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time : 15 Minutes
Serves : 5
- 1 Cup white rice(I used Sona Masuri)
- 1/4 Cup Moong Dal/Split Green gram
- 1/4 Cup Tur Dal/Split Red gram
- 1 Medium size carrot chopped fine
- 1 Tablespoon Ghee/Clarified Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Jeera/Cumin Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Medium size onion, chopped fine
- 2-3 Slit green chilies
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 Cup tomato puree ( or use 1 chopped tomato)
- 4 Cups Water
- Salt to taste
Wash and soak rice and dal separately for about 10 minutes.
Heat ghee in a pressure cooker and add in bay leaves and cumin seeds. Let the seeds crackle for few seconds.
Now add chopped onions, slit green chilies and ginger garlic paste. On medium heat fry till the raw smell goes away.
Add tomato puree and fry for few seconds. If using fresh chopped tomatoes, then fry until they are soft and mushy.
Add turmeric powder , carrots, soaked rice and dal. Mix well.
Add water and salt. Pressure cook for about 5 whistles.
Allow pressure cooker to release pressure completely. Then remove out and and enjoy with pickles.